Friday, February 03, 2006

Since When Do You Dress Boys In Pink?

Ok, I've had enough. What do I have to do to make dense, unobservant strangers understand that I am carting around a baby GIRL!?!?!? Apparently, the sight of an infant in a pink outfit with a pink hat covered in a pink blanket (all done specifically to identify The Girl as a girl) makes people ask, "Is it a boy or a girl" or "He's very cute" or "What's his name?" Sure, I understand that she has very little hair, and most infants at this age do not necessarily look like either sex - therefore, the clothing and accessories are put in place to take away the guesswork.... But I can't understand, with the strong social mores against dressing up boys like girls (God forbid you do that - you might turn your boy "gay"), that one would say something about "your cute baby boy" when that "boy" is all gussied up in pink!

I took The Girl to the doctor today (she's got an ear infection), and the doctor (not her normal doctor, but a resident from Childrens' Hospital) says, "So, what's his problem today?" Mind you, she's dressed in the very outfit pictured above, and covered in her carseat with a pink blanket covered with pink, purple, and mint-green kitties, and pink hearts all over. Sigh....

What's worse is that I am really not a big fan of pink - I'd prefer to dress The Girl up in yellow or lavender, and even that mint green....but having to deal with the idiocy of the general public makes me want to parade her around in bright pink, with lace and frilly stuff all over her, just to stop the questions. But wait - they DON'T stop the questions....I think out of all the people that have commented on her, maybe 2 of them actually got it right that's she's a "she". But I'm still pissed off at those people because they went on to ask if she was "mine" (see previous blog on the virtues of 2% milk)....

So maybe I'll just dress her in whatever I think is cute (and fits) that day, and suffer through dumbass questions from people I'll probably never see again - or maybe try to come up with some smartass answer instead....somehow I think that would make me feel better.


4 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Blogger Sus said...

"So maybe I'll just dress her in whatever I think is cute (and fits) that day, and suffer through dumbass questions ..."

I say go for it cause, hate to break it to ya, but humans are morons and no matter how much you try to rectify this situation....it's only gonna give you an ulcer!!

As for that doctor, I think I would of told him to take some reading lessons since he obviously doesn't know how to read Morgan's patient records.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Sus said...

Oh and I wanted to mention just how incredibly cool those pillow thingies are. I want one for myself!!!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger DEJO said...

Wow, and I thought I had it bad with so many strangers assuming my dog is a male. I'm still not sure what leads to that assumption. Is it because I'm male; therefore, I must have a male pet? Maybe it's because she doesn't have a pink collar? [Not that green screams "male animal!"] Does she look like a male? She doesn't have the requisite male part(s).

People need to learn to ask for clarification rather than assuming. You're not gonna look stupid for asking; rather you'll look more stupid for getting your assumption wrong.

Maybe I've embellished this encounter in my head since it occurred but I remember this type of conversation taking place at least once:

Stranger: "Wow, that's a nice dog. What's his name?"
Me: "His name is Sheena."
Stranger: "Sheena? That's a funny name for a male."
Me: "Maybe that's because he's not..."

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand the confusion. She's got plenty of hair and her name is right on her bib!

Great site, Nich. I'm proud of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home