Thursday, September 01, 2005

On Pets and Dying

My friend Stiffa lost her kitty of 13 years today, and it made me think about the 2 dogs I have been forced to "help" go to a better place. My first dog, Ce-Ce, was a Miniature Schnauzer, and the feistiest thing on 4 legs. I got him as a birthday present from my parents when I was 3. His self-appointed job was to be my protector - even when he didn't know what he was protecting me from. He took on a full-sized Doberman that ran up to attack me while I played in my front yard, he sat outside my bedroom door when I had the chicken pox (because dogs can get it too, so I was quarantined from EVERYONE), he tried to bite my mom when she was tending wounds I got from falling off a horse and I was crying. He ended up having congestive heart failure, and we put him to sleep the day after Christmas, 1986. I was a senior in high school, he was 15 years old.

My second dog was Ben, a Golden Retriever. I got him while I was in college, when I could barely afford to feed myself, let alone a dog. But there was no question when he came into my life that I would keep him forever. He helped pick my boyfriends (he hated one guy I dated so much, he did everything he could to keep us apart - sitting in front of the TV, squeezing between us when we sat together on the couch, etc.) He stayed with my parents when I had to move to a place where I couldn't have dogs. He adored the Bohunk when I met him, which was one of the many reasons I've kept him around this long. ;-) He even helped care for the Boy when he was a baby, keeping watch over him when my back was turned, and "cleaning" his face. Ben got colon cancer and we put him to sleep 2 weeks after his 14th birthday, 2 years ago.

Stiffa had mentioned how she grew up on a farm and basically made fun of people who went off the deep end over their pets, because farm animals are "outside" animals, and are treated differently than most well-cared for housepets. Unfortunately, she's learning what I have always known - a dog or cat that sleeps with you every night and hogs the whole bed, the one that barfs on the floor and hides because he thought he'd done something wrong, the one that sheds everywhere, the one that jumps up and puts a hole in your brand-new pantyhose, sits by and licks your face when you are sick, listens while you vent about whatever, and loves you unconditionally - that dog or cat becomes a member of your family and an irrevocable part of your heart. Loving them as fiercely as we do, and doing anything to make sure that they are healthy makes it more likely that we will have to watch them grow old and waste away leaving us to decide when they die - as opposed to them crawling off by themselves and dying alone, like they did in the wild. Having to decide to let them go is heartbreaking.

I do know that when I die, I will see my Ben-dog and my Ce-Ce again - they'll meet me when I come, tails wagging. Brodie will be there to meet Stiffa, too, one day.

7 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing with The Real Income system is it provided you with the time tested information that you need to really accumulate extra money from the internet. If internet home business is your goal you really have found the right spot. You really only have to work a few hours a week in order to make extra money with this system.

Visit make money now site. It pretty much covers make money now today to learn more.

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Bill Purdy said...

Nichelle: Blog spam is totally irritating. You can do two things to address it. The easiest is to go to your Blogger Dashboard. On the Settings tab, click Comments, then make sure "Show word verification for comments" is set to "Yes." Anyone posting a comment to your blog will have to type in a randomly displayed set of graphical letters in order to proceed.

The other thing you can do is sign up for a commenting service like Haloscan. Personally, I find the Blogger solution easier and perfectly adequate (haven't had any spam since I turned it on). Or, you can leave it alone, check out the advertised sites, and maybe make some quick money now. Your choice.

My cat Walter up and died at the age of six for no apparent reason. I let him outside, it rained a bit, and twenty minutes after I last saw him seemingly healthy, I found him stiff, dead, his fur wet and matted, and with ants already eating his eyes. I elected to forego the $450 necropsy and instead buried him under his favorite peach tree, where he often spent days feigning interest in butterflies and such. I miss him, but I harbor no illusions he'll be there in heaven for me when I die. I don't believe in such a thing.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Sus said...

Curio is now 10 1/2 years old and it freaks me out when I sometimes see the age in her. I've lost 2 other cats that were a part of me; Hershey simply disappeared one day and Toulouse died too young last year. So the reality that I'm watching Curio grow old and will see her to the end of her life makes me sad and content at the same time.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger PammyJean said...

You know I live in fear of coming home one day and not having my Oreo kitty come down to greet me.

And I'm having a really hard time watching the news anymore, because when I think of what the animals in New Orleans must've gone through, it makes me so sad I can't even cry.

'Scuse, me, I need to go make a donation to the Humane Society now.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Bill Purdy said...

Pam, you're sweet. Really. Super duper sweet. But please... why do people insist on caring more about animals than they do about human beings?

I just turned to my colleague here at work and opined: "why when I turn in the news do I have to watch five minutes of 'news' stories that focus on pets orphaned by the hurricane? Couldn't those five minutes be better spent covering, say, the tragic loss of HUMAN life?"

And why is it people who care about cute cuddly animals have no problem squishing a spider or killing a snake? Isn't all animal life equally sacred, no matter how personally revolting? What about all those fire ants, for instance, clinging to each other helplessly in floating balls, grappling to one another for dear life, just hoping to drift near someone they can bite? What about them?

WHAT ABOUT THE ANTS?

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Pat Angello said...

Uh, Bill - humans know better. They know they should have left. Animals depend on stupid (sometimes dumber than the pet) people to take care of them.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Bill Purdy said...

But, Pat, you're dodging the question: What about the ants?

WHO'S THINKING ABOUT THE ANTS?

Or, better, the rats, or the cockroaches, both of which depend largely on humans for their livelihood. I'll bet you don't care about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home