Monday, September 12, 2005

The Boy's Take On....Cereal

Frosted Mini-Wheats, to be exact. One morning last week, I made the boy breakfast before school - meaning, I poured some Frosted Mini-Wheats and milk into a bowl for him. The Boy dutifully ate every bite, and drank all the milk, and thanked me for making him breakfast so he "could be real strong like the big boy I am." A few days later, over the weekend, I asked him what he would like for breakfast. He said, "I want cereal, but I don't want the kind that tastes like 'nest'. If you give me that kind, I will NOT eat it." The seriousness of the statement, even from this 5 year old, was very evident. So I asked him, "It tastes like 'nest'?" He said, "Yes, and it looks like a nest too. I don't like stuff that tastes like 'nest'." I couldn't help but snicker - I had never thought of describing Mini-Wheats as 'nest'. Even still, I do prefer to eat them without milk (more like a snack than breakfast) because they get soggy too fast.

Which made me think - The Boy has always been game to eat whatever I set in front of him (always been a good eater), but now that he's getting older, he definitely has his own preferences....no onions, unless they are cooked (and therefore, sweeter), no mustard ("it's too spicy on my tongue"), loves smoked kielbasa sausage, mac and cheese, PBJ's, and most veggies (even the ones his mother refuses to eat - cauliflower!).

But back to cereal - I understand his feelings....I still can't eat those nasty Froot Loops. Makes the milk look (and taste) funny if you let them sit for more than 30 seconds. And they still don't taste good, even if you eat them as fast as possible.

So, I suppose, I won't feed the boy any more 'nest', and stick to the tried-and-true choices - Honey Nut Cheerios, Special K w/ Berries, Lucky Charms....but I still refuse to buy Froot Loops.

3 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger PammyJean said...

Hee hee! I can just hear him saying all that. I personally kindof like the "nest" texture, but I also know that texture can ruin a food entirely. Witness me and my aversion to beans.

And what nests has he been tasting, in order to know that MiniWheats are similar? Hmmm......

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Sus said...

Ahhh the wisdom of kids! So he doesn't like mustard but he likes smoked kielbasa sausage?? Ya must not be talking about yellow mustard!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Nichelle said...

ya - yellow mustard, honey mustard...doesn't matter. No mustard. But that's ok - Sam doesnt like mayo on his sandwiches - only mustard. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home