Friday, September 23, 2005

What's In A Name?

Everything, if you ask me.....

Like I said in my very first post - you're looking at a Double Stuff Oreo Cookie....and, as a consequence, a name must be chosen for the "stuff" on the inside. We know its a "pink one", as opposed to the "blue one" we got last time. Here's where the quandary begins, and I get all up in arms.

The Bohunk, during our first pregnancy, refused to even discuss girls names ("it's a boy anyway - I don't make girls"). Since I felt like it was a boy, and then had that confirmed by the doctor later, it wasn't an issue. We had picked out a name - his first name wasn't "family related" but we both liked it, and his middle name is The Bohunk's little brother's middle name (another story for another day). Anyway, this pregnancy, it's supposed to be a little girl. I feel like its a girl, and the doctor also says its a girl. But The Bohunk a) still is holding out hope for a boy, b) still won't discuss girls' names, and c) insists that if it is a girl, her middle name will be "Alma" after his grandmother. Now, this irks me on more than one level. First, the actual name - I loved his grandmother...once she got to know me, she was very kind, and she was a good woman. But her name is an old name, and very heavy - not something I want to put on a 21st century girl. And, to be blunt, I don't find it to be very pretty. Second, naming our second child after another member of his family leaves out my family altogether. It may be a bit selfish, but our children will always be "Andersons", and without having part of their names having anything to do with my side of the family, that part gets lost and disappears. It's more that way for girls than boys, since boys don't lose their last names in marriage. So I think that our baby girl should have a name that honors my side of the family, so that even if she gets married someday, she will carry a part of my heritage in her name.

I had thought of one name from my family, but in examining the names of people around me, 4 of them have the same name. So I came up with another one, a variation on my grandmother's name (she is "Caldonia" - which is also old and heavy, so a variation was necessary in my mind...) that is lighter and pretty (I think). I bounced the idea off of my mom, who said it was a very strong name and felt that the women I got the names from would be proud and honored. Plus, I had a little "divine intervention" in deciding on a name (also another story for another day). The other night, I mentioned only the first name to the Bohunk in conversation, and he just dismissed it and said "We've already decided, and that's final!" That didn't sit so well with me. So now he's gonna get a list of first and middle names, and he can pick from that. But this is one issue I refuse to give up (or give in) on. It seems only fair.



9 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Pat Angello said...

I like Caldonia!

Shaniqua Caldonia Anderson - WORKS!

OR

Placenta Caldonia Anderson - WORKS TOO!

OR

La Quishianna Caldonia Anderson - PERFECT!

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the ring of Caldonia Brie Anderson! On a more serious note, I am so with you, girl! You draw the line and stick to it!! I've got your back! Bohunk doesn't scare me!!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Nichelle said...

La Quishianna?!?!?!?

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Sus said...

wow, didn't peg the hubby for being so...umm...stubborn.

I think it's only fair that the new baby gets to have a name from your side of the family, if that's what you want. Why is he being so selfish about wanting ONLY his family represented?? Has he explained?

My best friend, Darhla's middle name is Willem (think that's how it's spelled), the female version of William.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Nichelle said...

Response:
1)There was an agreed-upon first name...which was then questioned when I determined how many more of them were around me (as stated in the blog). Bohunk's middle name suggestion - from HIS side of the family (see explanation of objection in the blog).
2)Prior discussions about a name are hard to do with someone who constantly refuses to be serious about the subject and blows it off while making jokes. As far as the "third party" thing - not my fault she brought it up in the first place.
3)True - the middle name choice for a boy would have honored my dad, but the first name honored no one, and he would have still had "Anderson" representing the Bohunk's family (see explanation of girl's name in blog).
4)Ultimatums have gone both ways.
5)See title of blog - this is where I get to be free of constraints. Plus, "preliminary jousting" consisted of you saying what you wanted, followed by "...and that's FINAL", with no room for me to explain my thought. Doesn't sound like jousting to me.

I'm done.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger PammyJean said...

All I know is, I'm thrilled to see you guys adding to your family. And secretly, I was hoping for a girl, as everyone has had boys now, and it'd be nice to see what kind of stories you have, from raising a girl .

That said, I can't imagine the kind of pressure you must feel, in choosing a name that a kid won't hate, that your spouse doesn't hate, that still honors the ancestors that brought you in here in the first place. Caldonia is nice, though she'll forever be having to clarify how to spell it (something you're already familiar with), and I can't rail against Alma entirely, as I had great-aunt Alma, who was just as sweet as sugar.

Just a thought -- a person CAN have more than one middle name....

I just thank my parents for not honoring either my ever-so-great aunt, Ethel Scroggs, or my ever-so-great uncle, Hope Waddle Hogg, by saddling me with any of those names.

But would it have killed them to choose a different middle name??

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Sus said...

Well, if the name Caldonia were to be picked at least her last name would be easy to spell.

Coming from someone who knows what it's like to have to spell out her last name before even saying the darn thing!

Yet, just another reason this drsus will NEVER have children!!

Good luck you two!

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caldonia. Wow, nice. And unique. Great song from B.B. King too. Would you care to share the more modern variation you've come up with?

And yes, one can have more than ONE middle name. I know. I have two: Theodore Marie. Yes, that's right: a masculine and a feminine. Theodore to honor my paternal grandfather and Marie to honor the Virgin Mary, a Dutch Catholic tradition. Plus, I could've chosen another middle name upon my confirmation but declined. To me, two's enough.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Nichelle said...

Callie is my "modern" choice. Sarai would be my middle name choice (a variation of Sarah...Sarai was actually the original name of Abraham's wife in the Bible - also it is the name of one of my great-grandmothers).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home