Sunday, September 11, 2005

My Mother Always Said.....

I should have listened.....Mom always told me never to discuss religion or politics. Lately, what with the state our nation is in (like it or not), I broke that rule.

Without going into too much detail to protect the innocent, I sent a post to my book club regarding the FEMA director (it was actually a link to another website) - suffice it to say that the creator(s) of the site were pretty blunt in their opinions about the whole subject. A day after that, one member of the group decided to leave, saying that she didn't feel her opinions were welcome. Well, that sent me into a tailspin (the raging hormones don't help that either). I have felt incredibly guilty because I think that I do respect others' opinions, even when they don't necessarily agree with mine. It's a free country, and I don't have a right to impose my beliefs on anyone. Sending that link to a mixed group of people crossed the line. My circle of friends includes people who think a lot like me and some that are on the complete opposite end from me. And now I think she may not want to be my friend anymore.

My mom said that - no matter what a person may say to your face - you could hurt a person saying out loud thoughts or beliefs that are deeply held but are also divisive, and politics and religion are at the center of those deeply held beliefs. I did it, and I'm sorry for it. I shoulda kept my mouth shut.

So, I think I'll keep my political/religious thoughts to myself (and not pass on the jokes/links/stories that might offend anyone. But I still plan to put it all here on my Rant - you don't have to come here and read them, unlike something that shows up in your email inbox. I have a feeling, though, that my internal censors will be on the lookout anyway.

4 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Bill Purdy said...

The nice thing about having a blog is that you can pretty much say whatever you want... if people are offended they need to keep in mind they chose to read the "offending" material.

On the other hand, my mother reads my blog. And because of that, I need to watch almost too carefully what I write there. Worse, I need to make sure my wife is careful with what she posts on my blog, lest my mother interpret a completely unrelated post (as she's done several times already) as a thinly veiled insult directed toward her (thus reinforcing my mom's belief that my wife is an altogether unfit partner for her son).

Censorship's a bitch. Count my vote for saying here whatever you feel like saying. I promise to never be offended. Or, if I am, I promise not to tell you about it.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger PammyJean said...

While I understand the connection, I don't want you to feel entirely responsible for this. I think it may have been a culmination of several people's actions.
I love that you have an opinion, and that it's usually quite well thought-out.
That having been said, a blog is a perfect place to say whatever you damn well please (and that, Bill, is why my parents have not been made aware of my blog ;) )

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Bill Purdy said...

Smart move, Pam. I think I might need to start another one so my mom doesn't feel insulted by every little rant my wife posts. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Nichelle said...

Thanks for the votes of confidence - but the fact that she's a friend and I may have had a part in hurting her (however small), makes me feel bad.

And I didnt tell my mom about my blog either (I dont worry about my dad since he stays as far away from technology as possible).... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home